In fact, 80% of Americans own computers at least once a year according to recent statistics. But owning a computer on your own isn’t always easy. There are so many different PCs and gaming consoles flooding the market that it can be difficult to know which one is the right one for you. And even if you do know what kind of gamer you are, it can still be difficult to find the right PC for your needs. Enter: The term ‘gaming rig’. What exactly is a gaming rig? A gaming rig is a high-end computer designed to play multiplayer video games such as first-person shooters or role-playing video games. It may also be known as a computer gaming machine or simply a gaming desktop.
What is a Gaming Rig? – A Quick Explanation!
So you’ve been reading about gaming rigs and you’re probably thinking, “This stuff is way over my head!” Well, don’t stress about it! We’re here to help! In this article, we’ll be going over some basic terminology and definitions related to gaming rigs so that you can better understand what you’re buying when you make your purchase. So, in a nutshell, a gaming rig is any computer designed to play online multiplayer games.
Why Buy a Gaming Rig?
If you’ve been keeping up with the latest tech, you may have come across the term ‘gaming’ and thought, ‘That’s way too big of a computer for me to ever need to actually play games on’. Well, we’re here to tell you that’s not the case at all. While many games will require a powerful computer to run at high resolution and with high graphics quality, it’s also important to note that graphics aren’t the only thing that matters when it comes to gaming. Beyond the realm of games, a gaming rig can also be used for professional applications such as video editing, photo creation, and even training for your next important exam! Yes, a gaming rig can really be used for anything that requires high-quality graphics, such as a first-person shooter (FPS) game, a racing game, or a strategy game.
Specifications of a Good Gaming Rig
Now that we’ve gone over what a gaming rig is, and what you need for it, let’s move onto the specifications. A gaming rig’s specifications will determine the features and technology that is available on each individual component within the computer. Following is a breakdown of what you’ll want to consider when shopping for a new computer:
- Processor: The processing power of a computer is determined by the components within the computer. Be sure to research applications that require the power of a high-end gaming rig as opposed to general-use computers that might only require a mid-range processor.
- Graphics Card: The graphics card is one of the most essential components inside a gaming computer. It’s responsible for providing the graphics that are used to display and interact with graphics-intensive games. It’s often connected to the processor through a graphics card/processor combo.
- RAM: The amount of memory that is associated with the processor and the graphics card is known as the ‘RAM’ capacity of the computer.
- Hard Drive: The hard drive is the storage device that contains all of the operating system files and programs. - Optical Drive: The optical drive is the device that allows the computer to interact with the media such as DVDs, CDs, and Blu-Ray Discs.
- Monitor: The monitor is the display device that is connected to the computer and used to display the game or program being played.
- Keyboard and Mouse: The keyboard and mouse are the primary controls that are used to interact with the computer and the game or program.
- Other Peripherals: Other peripherals such as a video camera, printer, ormic can be connected to a gaming computer for additional functionality.
So, overall, a gaming rig is a high-end computer designed to play online multiplayer games. It may also be known as a computer gaming machine or simply a gaming desktop. Now that you know what a gaming rig is, and why you should consider getting one, we can move onto the specifications needed for one. Take a look below at the specifications needed for a good gaming rig and see if you can find a match.